Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Newlyweds?

My husband and I just celebrated our 8th anniversary yesterday. Yep, 8 years. It's not a whole lot, but these days, it's nothing to sneeze at, either. Considering all the things we've been through, we celebrate each year with enthusiasm. We'd like to think we're at least as much in love now as we were 8+ years ago, if not more.

So it was nice to have that confirmed when a salesman at a furniture store (yes, we went furniture shopping for our anniversary -- romantic, I know) said that he thought we were newlyweds. Newlyweds? You should have seen the look on his face when we smiled and told him we had been married 8 years and had four kids.

It got me thinking -- what is it that makes us look like newlyweds? (Besides the fact that we're pretty young -- I was only 21 when we wed.) Well, we hold hands, we call each other cute names (friends used to laugh at us, but I guess they don't notice anymore), we ask each other's opinion. But I think it's more than that. You can't keep that up all the time! There are times when we disagree -- okay, fight.

But I think the difference is, as I've heard it said, we fall together instead of falling apart. When tough things happen, whether external to our relationship or internal, we seek each other out instead of moving further from our spouse by withdrawing or wounding. I think forgiveness has been key for both of us to move beyond the rut of bitterness.

Of course, it always helps to keep the flame alive! The little phone calls, notes, goodbye and goodnight kisses let each other know that we still care.

I guess the bottom line is that if people think we're newlyweds after 8 years, we must be doing something right!

No comments: