Wednesday, June 11, 2008

What if?

This is one of my favourite games to play with my husband when we're on a long trip and need something to talk about. It's kind of morbid, but I ask him: What if civilization as we knew it collapsed? What if there was some kind of disaster that wiped out technology and we had to start over?

It's not such a strange idea. After all, isn't that what happened after the collapse of the Roman Empire? It was called the Dark Ages, when all the advancements Western civilization had made up until that point were lost. Can you imagine what that must have been like for the Roman Empire? Can you imagine what it might be like for us -- no more oil and gas, electricity, cars, appliances?

Actually, this interesting game has evolved into a book project for me -- a post-apocalyptic young adult fantasy involving a set of twins and some dragons. I've been having to address a lot of the limitations a collapsed civilization would have to deal with. My husband has been helping me with scenarios, extending our disaster game into long book-writing discussions. It should shape up to be interesting!

No comments: