Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Inheritance


This is a poem I wrote a few years ago about the impact that our ancestors have on us -- not just the genetic stamp they pass on, but also the marks they leave on our spiritual journey without ever knowing us.

James' colour and Mary's skin
Through three generations have come to me
James' eyes and Ann's fine hair
Passed down before I came to be
Gordon's stature and Katie's shape
Move in a great genetic dance
Alec's smile and Susan's hands
This is my inheritance

Christopher's faithfulness, Rachel's love
Survived throughout a century
Meg's perserverance and George's hope
My ancestors: alive in me
Samuel's vision and Margaret's heart
Not left to fate or happenchance
Jennie's courage and William's faith
This is my inheritance


So I hope this encourages all of you to look into the things your family may have passed on to you. Some of you might have had a pretty negative family experience -- but you might be surprised what you can find in your history. The other thing to remember is that no matter what kind of legacy your family has passed to each other, it is possible to break the cycle of hurt at your generation and start a new family tree.

No comments: