Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Living the Regency


Some people think authors should write what they know. Now that's a dilemma for me, because I haven't experienced a lot, but I have learned a great deal. I know a lot about certain places and times, even though I've never been there. And sometimes I think I know more about imagined places than my own present day reality. But an author can draw on more than just the mundane experiences of daily life.

For example, I'm taken with the Regency period. I love all things Jane Austen. It's one of a few favourite time periods, but will always hold a special place in my heart -- because I lived it for two summers!

Talk about your ideal summer job. I worked at Discovery Harbour in the little town of Penetanguishene, Ontario. It's a picturesque naval and military fort from the War of 1812. I got to be a "real" Regency lady, at least, the backwoods version -- doing embroidery, playing music, dressing in the fashions of the day. Those days back in high school were the foundation of all my present Regency writing, and directly inspired two of my Regency short stories: "Arms o' the Sea", and the soon-to-be-released "The Farmer's Son".

So I guess that goes to show that you should write what you know, but you should never let that limit you!

No comments: